Summer Program, Season 1895, Skowhegan (Maine) Wheel Club. Map of the Second Annual Tour, and List of the Officers for 1895
Summer Program, Season 1895, Skowhegan (Maine) Wheel Club. Map of the Second Annual Tour, and List of the Officers for 1895

Summer Program, Season 1895, Skowhegan (Maine) Wheel Club. Map of the Second Annual Tour, and List of the Officers for 1895

VG+ (edgewear, lightly rubbed, and crease at top corner), 3.5” x 5.75” faded light green illustrated cardstock, with a wonderful image of a woman riding a bicycle. Officers include J.W. Steward, Captain, J. Wallace Blunt, Lieut., and R.T. Patten, Sec’y and Treas. The Program on reverse notes that from July 20 to August 2, the Second Annual Run would take place, “Fourteen days, by wheel 500 miles.”

Skowhegan, located in central Maine roughly 100 miles north of Portland, was home to this club launched in 1894; a photograph of the first club housed at the Skowhegan History House shows 22 members (four being women) with their bicycles; according to the site, many of the members were merchants or employees of Skowhegan businesses. No copies listed in commerce, OCLC, or auction records of this scarce piece of ephemera produced at the height of the bicycle craze of the 1890s, which saw the publication of George Clementson’s The Road Rights and Liabilities of Wheelmen in 1895. Item #247

Price: $150.00

See all items in Sports, Women